This course focuses on the development of leadership skills used in managing a successful business. Students will analyse the role of a leader in business, with a focus on decision making, management of group dynamics, workplace stress and conflict, motivation of employees, and planning. Effective business communication skills, ethics, and social responsibility are also emphasized.
Course Strands with links
- Unit 1 Foundations of Management
- Unit 2 Leadership
- Unit 3 Management Challenges
- Unit 4 Planning and Controlling
- Unit 5 Organising
The course runs for a total of 110 hours. The lessons outlined below are all structured for 100 minutes of instruction time, unless otherwise stated.
The 110 hours also includes additional time that may be allocated for assignments, tests and the independent study unit, at the teacher’s discretion.
The first and second lesson are free! Then individual lessons are priced at $5 or the whole course at $85
- Introduction Materials
- First Day Handout [see whole course resources below]
- Independent Study Unit [see whole course resources below]
- Unit 1 – Foundations of Management: By the end of this unit, students will: assess the role of management within an organization; demonstrate the use of appropriate communication techniques related to business management; evaluate the impact of issues related to ethics and social responsibility on the management of organizations.
- Unit 2 – Leadership: By the end of this unit, students will: apply an understanding of human behaviour to explain how individuals and groups functionin the workplace; demonstrate an understanding of group dynamics; demonstrate an understanding of proper leadership techniques in a variety of situations.
- Unit 3 – Management Challenges: By the end of this unit, students will: demonstrate an understanding of the communication process within the workplace; evaluate the strategies used by individuals and organizations to manage stress and conflict; compare theories of how to motivate individuals and teams in a productive work environment.
- Unit 4 – Planning and Controlling: By the end of this unit, students will: analyse the importance of planning to the success of an organization; demonstrate an understanding of appropriate planning tools and techniques in a variety of situations; analyse the relationship between strategic planning and the success of an organization; analyse how companies respond to internal and external pressures for change; assess the importance of control in management.
- Lesson 2 – External Constraints | PESTLE Analyis
- Lesson 3 – Strategic Model #1 SWOT Analysis
- Lesson 4 – Strategic Model #2 Porter’s Five Forces
- Lesson 5 – Strategic Model #3 The Ansoff Matrix
- Lesson 6 – Strategic Model #4 The Boston Matrix
- Lesson 7 – Strategic Model #5 Porter’s Generic Strategies
- Lesson 8 – The Control System
- Unit 5 – Organising: By the end of this unit, students will: demonstrate an understanding of the various organizational structures used to manage theworkforce effectively; assess the ways in which organizational structures have changed to adapt to the changingnature of work; evaluate the role of human resources within an organization.
Available within the relevant lessons:
- Assignment 1.1 CSR Audit
- Assignment 1.2 Ethical Issues
- Assignment 1.3 Email Writing
- Assignment 2.1 Movie Leadership Analysis
- Assignment 2.2 Personality Report
- Assignment 2.3 Team Building Exercise
- Assignment 3.1 The Top 100 Businesses
- Assignment 3.2 Conflict Management Styles
- Assignment 3.3 Office Space Film Analysis
- Assignment 4.1 Strategic Planning
- Assignment 5.1 Issues in the Workplace
The following are available upon request:
- Unit 1 Review Sheet
- Unit 2 Review Sheet
- Unit 1 Test
- Unit 2 Test
- Final Exam
- Final Exam Review Sheets