This course is based upon the Energy Diet Challenges presented by The Canadian Geographic Education Series. GlobalGeek has created the PowerPoint presentations, activity documents, and assignments, to run alongside the challenges. Additional content has been created to match the specificiations of the BC Social Studies Curriulum, and the challenges have been incoporated into these lessons.
The Energy Diet Challenge
The Energy Diet Challenge course incorporates 20 Challenges that have been created by The Canadian Geographic Education Series. Each lesson is energy-themed, and aims to teach students about different energy topics; increasing their overall energy awareness.
This course meets the objectives set out in The Canadian National Standards for Geography. More information is available here.
This Standards-Based Guide contains broad learning objectives and sample learning activities that are based upon six essential elements of geography:
- The world in spatial terms (location)
- Places and regions
- Physical systems
- Human systems
- Environment and society
- The uses of geography
Course Strands with links
- BC Curriculum Social Studies 7
- BC Curriculum Social Studies 8
- BC Curriculum Social Studies 9
- BC Curriculum Social Studies 10
The course runs for a total of 20 hours. The lessons outlined below are all structured for 60 minutes of instruction time, unless otherwise stated.
The 20 hours does not include additional time that may be allocated for assignments, tests and field work, at the teacher’s discretion.
The first and second lesson are free! Then individual lessons are priced at $5 or the whole course at $25
The lessons do not have to be completed in the following order, though it is recommended that you familiarise yourself with all of the content in order to work out when to set assignments according to your classes’ needs.
- A Green Powered Canada (free)
- Community Connections (free)
- Buckle Up!
- Do You Really Need It?
- From You to Us
- Get Growing!
- Green Innovations!
- How Big are Your Cardon Feet?
- Phantom Energy
- Media Mania
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- School Energy Project
- Story Time…
- The Windy City
- The Windy City Decision Making Exercise
- Track Your Trash
- Video Challenge
- Water Works
- Food Miles
- Assignment 1.1 School Energy Project [Lesson 13]
- Assignment 1.2 Energy Issues Story [Lesson 14]
- Assignment 1.3 The Windy City Decision Making Exercise [Lesson 16]
- Assignment 1.4 Create Your own Local Meal Recipe [Lesson 20]