- To learn about the components of the earths system and how they interact.
- Explain the concept of a “system” as it applies to Earth.
- Identify the five spheres of the Earth system.
- Identify and analyze how matter and energy change and cycle through the system as the spheres interact.
- Analyze an event and present findings to the class.
- Starter: Determine prior knowledge of students through questioning.
- Teacher led – Introduce the concept of a system – Class brainstorm on Earth’s systems.
- Techer led – Introduce new terms – the five spheres. Explain through PowerPoint.
- How do spheres impact everyday life of student’s? [Individual task].
- Teacher led – Discuss how the spheres interact.
- Create examples of how the spheres interact [Individual task].
- Analyse photos of both human and natural events on Earth and create a connection model to show how the spheres interact [Individual task].
- Experiential Learning Task:
Local area walk to observe spheres and how they interact [Class Task].
- Review: Discuss findings of local observation task as a class.